Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Journey to Preterism

Dale Stanford
I had grown up in church and knew about Jesus. I read the bible and thought I had accepted Jesus as my Savior. I don't think I even considered the term Lord and what it meant. But I always sensed God in my life. I believe He kept me from getting into trouble and from harm many times as I was growing up. But He let me do my thing knowing that I would someday realize that He was THE way, THE truth, and THE life! I continued to live my life as I wanted through highschool, one year of college, and 6 years in the Navy. I got married in the Navy and we partied our way through it. We had a daughter in the Navy and a son shortly after we got out. After 9 years of marriage she filed for a divorce and I was crushed! There was a small church that I had passed every day on my way home from work, so God brought it to my attention one afternoon. I knocked on the pastor's door one afternoon and he invited me in. We talked, cried, and prayed together. He invited me to come to church there, so I did. For the next two years I spent every free moment I had studying the bible. I couldn't get enough! I also listened to lots of christian music. Keith Green was my favorite. His music blessed me so much! I went to every service and event that the church offered. I sang in the choir, played on the fast pitch softball team, and participated in all of the work parties. God was blessing me, and I wanted to tell everyone I knew about Him! A lot of my friends thought I was being too pushy, but I just wanted them to know the love I had just found in Jesus! While I was singing in the choir, I met a young lady who became my current wife. We have been married almost 29 years now, and have a 21 year old daughter. She is our miracle baby, and God has used her to bless our lives!

About 3 years ago my job ended. After about 6 months my faith was shaken, and I began to worry about it. How was I going to provide for my family without a job? One day I took my bible out to my patio and began reading the book of Job. After a few days of reading, thinking, and praying about what Job had endured, I fell on my face before God! How could I complain and feel sorry for myself after what Job had gone through? I knew that God had promised me that He would never leave me, and that He would always provide for my needs. But I had suddenly lost that faith. I repented and asked Father to forgive me for not trusting and believing Him. I told Him that I would never forget those promises again, and that I trusted Him no matter what happened in my life. Well, it's now been 3 years and I still haven't landed a full time job! But my faith hasn't been shaken since that time! I haven't worried about it since then and I praise God for His promises!

Shortly after my faith failure, I ended up on Ed Steven's website (preterist.org). I don't remember how I got there, and I don't remember anyone talking to me about preterism. But once I was there and began reading the Q&A's, everything started to click. The time statements and audience relevant scriptures couldn't be refuted! The more I read, the more I discovered the fact that scripture had already been fulfilled! I googled other preterist sites and found Don Preston's site as well. I communicated with Ed Stevens via email and phone, and he sent me several of his books to review for him. I'm thankful for Ed Stevens and his heart for ministry! I have also grown to love Don Preston, Michael Loomis, and many other preterist brothers and sisters. I love following Terry and other preterist friends on facebook! I have so much more to learn, but I know that I will always be learning until I leave this life! It is like being re-born again! I love studyng God's word, and am always ready and willing to share His truth with others. I pray that He will open up more doors for me to share the truth of fulfilled eschatology with those who are ready to hear. It is frustrating sometimes attending a futurist church and having to bite my tongue at times. I have shared with several brothers and I know God is working on them. He was patient with me for almost 30 years. How can I not be patient with them? May God reveal more of His truth to us as we seek Him. May He fill you with His love, grace and peace. I look forward to seeing all of you in the unseen realm!

Blessings,

Dale

9 comments:

  1. Terry Cropper

    Wow Dale this is awesome. Thanks for opening up like this. God bless you brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane Krakowski

    That is a up lifting story Dale thanks for telling it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dale Stanford

    Thanks everyone. There are obviously a lot of details which I left out, but this is the journey of my life. I'm not proud of a lot of it, but I am so thankful that God protected me and saved me from destroying myself. All of us have similar story, and to me that proves that our God is personal and cares about each and every one of us! He is good! I love because He first loved me! I love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. James Madison

    There is not one thing here not to be proud of Dalle. So blessed I can call you my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dale Stanford

    Thanks James. Love you brother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dale,
    It was cool to fellowship with you, brother. Let's keep spreading the word. Great testimony!

    ReplyDelete

My story.

Hi this is James Burks. I am deaf since born by German measles. I born and raised up in Orlando. Now, living in PA and married to beautif...